Thursday 26 February 2015

EDIFIER STUDIO R1700BT REVIEW SYNAPSE CIRCUIT

The Edifier solidly built Studio R1700BT Bluetooth speaker system.
SYNAPSE CIRCUIT
EDIFIER STUDIO R1700BT
REVIEW


Goodhour, Synapse Circuit Readers! I am so glad that to see that you have enjoyed my Nexus 6 review! I am sure that you will agree that it’s the best and most balanced review you have ever read!

Say! I don’t suppose you are up for a set of good speakers? Check this bit of news out!

#Edifier #R1700BT #Speakers #Audio #2WaySpeakers

EDIFIER® STUDIO R1700BT
If you happen to be a budding musician utilizing the PC / Mac, phone and / or tablet to compose your tracks then you may be familiar with “studio monitors” that profess to provide a professional accurate audio production / reproduction. You may have come across “professionals” that recommend the most expensive set of monitors going. I think that these “professionals” are often misguided folk that use expensive equipment as a measuring stick, “Mine is the most expensive, biggest and the best!” And have the opinion that, “You’re not a professional if you use anything less...”

OK... ...if the above is true then why is it that many recording studios have closed down due to advancements in computer music technology? Yeah! Answer that one!

In the past I have used PC speakers to create my music, master and commit to CD. I have sold a few homemade albums in my time! While I do not class myself as an “audio master” I do have ears! I can honestly tell you that these expensive studio monitors aren’t worth the expense if you happen to be a bedroom composer!

Some of us do not have a great deal of money to throw upon an expensive pair of studio monitors and the best way forward is to go for a set of good quality PC speakers instead. If you are not very technical when it comes to speaker specifications skip the next bit...

STUDIO R1700BT SPEC:-
Total power output: RMS 15W x2 (treble) + 18W x2 (bass) (DRC ON)
Signal to noise ratio: 60Hz - 20KHz (±6dB
Frequency response: R/L 4.0KHZ-20KHZ | SW: 30Hz - 3KHZ
Distortion:  ≤0.5%
Input sensitivity: PC: 700mV±50mV | Aux: 550mV±50mV
Audio input: PC, AUX, Bluetooth
Adjustment (remote): Wireless remote control for audio source selection, mute and volume adjustment.
Adjustment (Unit): Volume, bass and treble adjustment
Treble unit: Φ19mm silk dome tweeter
Bass Unit: 4 inch (116mm)
Dimension each Speaker: 154 mm x 254mm x 214mm (W x H x D)
Weight: 6.6kg / 7.6kg (net / gross)

BUILD QUALITY & DESIGN
Like most of the Edifier range of speakers I find the build quality to be solid and aesthetically pleasing. The speaker casing is made from real wood – I think you’d call the colour “cherry red”. They are heavy-ish unlike many PC speakers. I found no fault in the overall build.

The right speaker houses the volume, treble and bass controls that are easily accessible. In addition there is a wireless remote control unite to mute, increase / decrease volume, audio source selection (AUX and PC) and Bluetooth activation.

Edifier has definitely done a good job with the build quality and making the controls easily accessible. Trust me, I have seen some controls on other speakers put in awkward places thus creating a potential for frustration if the settings must be constantly adjusted to suit different media. Well done, Edifier!

IN USE
As with all the Edifier speakers I have reviewed over the years (and with all different makes of speakers) the Studio R1700BT comes with all the necessary cabling for the PC and auxiliary unit i.e. MP3 player, phone, tablet, CD player, etc. It takes less than a minute to wire-up the speakers and connect to a PC, MP3 player, tablet, etc. The remote control is child’s play!

For a while I have been looking at composing music on the fly with my handsets and tablet and I have been looking at a speaker system that I can use specifically for that purpose. What I love about the Studio R1700BT is the Bluetooth connectivity; it takes seconds to pair up my ASUS Fonepad 7 LTE tablet with R1700BT and from there it is a matter of making sure that the volume levels from my tablet is turned up to the max as it is lowered as a precaution by default thinking that I am using headphones. Also this built-in protection could in fact stop me from potentially blowing up headphones and speakers (I’ve done it before).

I used Caustic 3 which is a music making app for Android (there are also PC and iOS versions) and I also used the music player on my ASUS Fonepad 7 LTE. I have to say that I was very, very pleased with the results coming from the speakers. I found that the treble and midrange sounded like needles, razor blades and a hammer. The woofer sounded like thunder! The only fault – if you can call it a fault – is that the woofer isn’t big enough for the latest trends in Electronic music namely Dubstep! The Dubstep bass is a tad too much for the R1700BT and that’s with the bass control midway! Still, the results aren’t bad at all. When I switched from music composition to just listening to music using the music player (on the ASUS Fonepad 7 LTE) I was very impressed. I listened to a Jazz composition and I can hear the individual instruments clearly: piano, drums, bass and guitar.

CONCLUSION
For music composition I don’t think I can live with the 4” bass unit; for the kind of music I make 6” or 8” would have been ideal. Naturally, I did appreciate how wonderful music from my ASUS Fonepad 7 LTE tablet can sound as the speakers on it are a disappointment! But I can’t use the Studio R1700BT for music composition in comfort. I suppose I could get used to the bass representation however I’d sooner get the right speaker system for my purposes.

For listening to music, consuming media such as video on a PC and / or tablet I could recommend the R1700BT on the sound alone. The price, £120, does seem a bit high... I can understand to a degree why the price is quite high in comparison to other speaker systems; it is hard to reproduce distortion at the highest volume setting. Again, it’s the woofer that lets the Studio R1700BT down. While the bass isn’t exactly distorted it just lacks the oomph! Not wishing to be overly crude but the bass on the R1700BT sounds like a potential trouser trumpet turning into a wet one when coping with modern Electronic music.

Oh, sure, the Bluetooth connectivity is also another factor for the high asking price.

This is a tough one... I feel that the price may be too high for composers of Electronic music as the sound is not perfect. For the general consumer I feel that there are better cost effective solutions out there. It is a shame as the treble and midrange are crisp! If the music you make isn’t extremely bass heavy then I think it’s worth giving the Studio R1700BT a try.

SCORE
3 / 5
A solid Synapse Circuit Silver!


Edifier could be onto a winner if they gave the R1700BT a bigger woofer for the same price. Despite the Synapse Circuit Silver award I do think that this is a very good attempt at a hybrid general PC speaker and studio monitor.

Let’s say that the Studio R1700BT didn’t have Bluetooth connectivity and I picked it up for £65 I could it generally as an accessory to my tablet. But I would rather pay a little more for a substantial woofer and Bluetooth as wires can be a pain!

Hey, you can always visit a store like PC World and give it a listen yourself. If you’re not making bass heavy music the R1700BT may be just right for you given that studio monitors are usually sold as a single unit i.e. per speaker. You’re looking at somewhere in the region of £109 for a non-active single monitor alone. If you are a total beginner “non-active” means that there is no amplifier built into the speakers so you will have to invest in an amplifier. Yes, music making is a hobby / profession that potentially keep you giving your hard earned cash! Spend wisely!
Thank you so much for reading Synapse Circuit!

Expect more reviews, news, opinions, competitions and more from Synapse Circuit!

Please check out the Synapse Circuit site here: Synapse Circuit.com

Synapse Circuit for tech news, opinions, articles, reviews and competitions. You will find interactive PDF magazines, videos and links to free legal software! Check it out at Synapse Circuit dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment